Equinox

The place where space and time are bent as ships travel through hyperspace to get to their destinations.

Equinox

Postby Atrus on Mon May 26, 2008 2:25 am

Kara leaned against the wall with her arms folded as her father approached. The door she was next to lead to the one closed off gallery on the ship, and it was shut tight.

"He locked himself in again." Kara said to her fathers, Peden, unasked question.

The old man scowled and chewed on his tongue. "He's becoming obsessive about this. We need to get some sense into him before he burns out."

Kara shook her head, "You're too optimistic dad, he's too stubborn to let this go. He's convinced it leads somewhere, to something. It's just another relic from a lost age, in all likelihood it no longer exists, but he's sure there's something."

Peden nodded, "You may be right, dear, you may be right. But this is about more than just finding a relic. She died because of this and-"

"Dad! Please! Can't we just forget it?" Kara said, standing up straighter and facing her father.

Peden scowled at her now and pointed toward the closed door, "He's trying to find answers, trying to find a reason for your sisters death! You want to just forget her?"

"No! I don't want to forget her! I want you and him to forget that you both lost someone you loved and move on! She's gone! It doesn't matter why anymore!" Kara shut her eyes and turned away, then stomped off.

Peden stared after her, his eyes glassy. He turned to the door and stared at it. Within the room Atrus stood hunched over a table, looking down at the crystals on it. The red one hanging from his neck swayed back and forth as he did. He was trying to forget.
Atrus

Re: Equinox

Postby Atrus on Mon May 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Duna bit her nails as she stared out into the mosaic that composed hyperspace. She didn't notice the footfalls of heavy boots approach until she saw movement in the corner of her vision.

"Thinking about Yarro?" Jarn asked.

She nodded slowly. The Ithorian had been a good friend whom she'd known ever since landing a job as a crew member on this ship. He had been the kind and caring type that was common among Ithorians. He had been a pacifist.

"I just wish-...that I'd-..." She struggled with the words.

"Been able to say goodbye?" Jarn finished.

She nodded as tears began to drop from her eyes. Jarn placed an arm around her and tried to comfort her as the silent tears turned into sobs.

The door to the gallery opened and Atrus stepped out, a tired look on his face. The ship was eerily silent as he made his way toward the kitchen. He grabbed a bottle of brandy and a glass, then sat down in the near darkness. He poured himself a glass and took a small sip before setting it down again.

"Still on your guilt trip, I see." Peden said as he approached the table and sat down across from Atrus.

Atrus looked wearily up at him, "We could have avoided it. Could have just sent a drone in and waited for the scan results. I was too eager to find another crystal."

"We all were, Atrus. This is big! Whatever information is stored on those crystals...once we find the way to read what's on them..." Peden trailed off as the thoughts of infinite possibilities twirled through his mind.

"And if they're nothing but some ancient cargo manifest? What then?" Atrus asked, a dark look in his eyes.

Peden sighed and looked across the table, to the man who at one point had almost been family.

"Don't look at me like that, Peden. That's not why I'm doing this." Atrus said, taking another drink.

Peden shook his head and stood. "Yes it is. It's the reason we're all doing this. We all want some closure, we want her to have died for a reason. You may have moved on and let go, but you still want a reason for it. Same as all of us..."

Atrus watched Peden leave as the old mans words sank in. He poured another glass and downed it in two gulps.
Atrus

Postby Atrus on Tue May 27, 2008 5:41 pm

It had been a restless night and while everyone had slept, it had been fitfully. All of them had been dreaming of clawed terrors in the dark, screams of pain, blood covered hands, and the weight of the galaxy.

::We'll be dropping out of hyperspace in a few minutes.:: Kara's voice said, coming over the frigate's speakers.

"Where are we anyway? I thought it'd be a shorter trip to Courscant." Jarn said.

Atrus was tapping a finger on the table and held his head in one hand. "We aren't going to Courscant. We need to find someone to help fund this, so I figured we'd start with someone in power, who has funds, and may be interested in what we've found so far."

"So where are we going?" Jarn asked.

Atrus looked up at his old friend as they felt the slight lurch of dropping back into normal space. He gave a small smile and stood.
Atrus

Postby Atrus on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Atrus stood with his back to the door, leaning over the display. The crystals glowed brilliantly when they were so close together. The light cast shadows on his face, the haunted look was emphasized and frightening. An answer...soon he would have an answer. Maybe then he wouldn't feel so guilty about getting her killed over something so trivial...maybe then he'd be able to let go of the fact that he'd lost his heart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't understand," Duna said, "Why go back?"

They sat in the lounge, all facing each other.

"I don't know. It's like he thinks there really is something there." Jarn said.

"There is!" Peden screamed, "There's a bunch of damned droids ready to kill all of us!"

"Well, somehow he's found a solution to that. I guess all we can do is hope he knows what he's doing." Kara said sullenly.

"Hope? What hope? There's no hope left in this galaxy!" Peden shouted, "Atrus has lost it! Your sister's dead! We're all marching along into oblivion! And for what? A few crystals! I'm done watching Atrus drive himself and us into the ground!"

Peden stormed out of the lounge, the others giving each other looks before scrambling after him. They followed Peden as he marched down to the closed gallery. He moved to open the door, and was startled to find it unlocked. He paused for a moment before opening it.

They all froze at what they saw...
Atrus

Postby Atrus on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:33 am

Atrus stood behind the display. He had moved around it and was facing the door, or rather, his front was. His head however was tilted down, his eyes closed. He was still. Absolutely still...not even the slightest hint of his breathing was perceived by his friends.

"Atrus?" Kara said in a small voice, stepping forward.

Jarn placed a hand on her shoulder and stopped her, then pointed at Atrus. "Look."

There, dangling down from his neck, the crystal that Atrus always wore, was pulsing. The faint glow disappearing and reappearing. The crystal hung from Atrus's neck, still. He was like stone, unmoving and frozen.

"Atrus?" Kara asked again.

He didn't respond. He didn't move. And then Duna gasped and pointed to the space between Atrus and the display. There, frozen in time, was a tear. But no sooner had they realized it was suspended in the air, than it suddenly fell, hitting one of the crystals.

Atrus moaned and collapsed to the ground, sobbing.

"ATRUS!" They all yelled, rushing toward him.

As they helped him up Jarn looked around to the others and asked, "What in the blooding kriffing hell is going on?!"
Atrus

Postby Atrus on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:22 pm

"Atrus? You there? Come on, wake up." Jarn said as he leaned over Atrus.

Atrus groaned and opened his eyes slightly, his vision swimming. He looked up at Jarn and then turned his head to the sides, checking to see if anyone else was nearby.

"Everyone's up on the bridge," Jarn said, "We're about to come out of hyperspace." He paused and looked to the side, then turned back to his friend. "Atrus, what happened?"

Atrus shut his eyes again and turned away from Jarn. He whispered, "I saw her..."

"You saw..." Jarn's eyes widen as he realized what Atrus meant. "Atrus, she's dead-"

"I SAW HER!" Atrus said, turning to Jarn angrily. Jarn barely had time to register the scowl on Atrus's face before he was thrown backwards. Atrus gasped and stumbled off the bed, sinking to his knees next to Jarn.

"I-I-I'm sorry...I didn't mean to..."

Jarn waved him off. "It's fine...just...bumped my head...damnit, Atrus! What's going on?"

Atrus shook his head, "I-I haven't got a clue."

Atrus helped Jarn to his feet and they started making their way to the bridge. Jarn blinked his eyes and glanced at Atrus. "You haven't done anything like that since back at the University....am I still the only one who-"

"Yeah," Atrus said, "....do me a favor, don't-"

"You got it." Jarn replied.

"Thanks."
Atrus

Return to Hyperspace